en - [sympa-users] Re: Re: Debian sympa package

  • From: Cefiar <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Re: Re: Debian sympa package
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 11:25:56 +1100

On Wednesday 13 December 2006 17:19, elijah wrote:
> Cefiar wrote:
> > The other option is probably easier though:
> > Since nothing depends on sympa, it should be easy to get the package
> > removed from Debian, at least for the Etch release.
> >
> > Yes, you heard right. I'm suggesting that the package gets removed. The
> > old package is doing nothing for sympa, and in fact potentially causing
> > more problems for sympa's reputation (and workload answering questions
> > related to old versions) than anything.
>
> I support removing sympa from debian. As an avid debian and sympa user,
> it pains me to see people using the packaged version, and the questions
> generated on the lists regarding ancient problems.

I would however suggest that any replacement repository consider a few things:

1. Keeping up to date
The current repository listed on the sympa website is a version for 5.1.

2. Stable and Latest repositories
Stable being the latest "stable" release, at least in the mind of the
maintainer ie: latest release version with any necessary patches (such as the
template update from the latest alpha to make IE7 work). Latest being either
a regular pull from CVS, or the latest alpha/beta/etc at the time.

3. Explicit migration support from the old Debian package version. I've not
checked the package from the repository listed on the sympa website, but I
know that upgrading from the old version did cause some people large amounts
of pain.

BTW: I have some holidays coming up, and as at least one site I manage needs
to go to a later version of Sympa, I'm going to look at the package from the
repository listed on the sympa website and see about updating it to the
latest version. If someone is already working on this, it'd be good to know
and I'd be happy to help when I get the time.

--
Stuart Young - aka Cefiar - address@concealed