en - [sympa-users] Debian sympa package

  • From: Cefiar <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Debian sympa package
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 11:40:35 +1100

Etch, the next version of Debian, has now frozen. See
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/12/msg00004.html for
details.

Currently, it has sympa version 4.1.5 (with some patches) - way way old!

Because of the freeze policy, no new versions of sympa will end up in Etch.

I think the sympa team and the Debian maintainer need to figure out what is
going to be done here.

Possibly:
Since nothing depends on sympa, you could "possibly" push a release into
Etch, but you need to talk to the Debian release team and the maintainer of
the Debian package. It's going to be an uphill battle, as they'll not want to
allow it in as they try to have a no exceptions policy. An arguement that
(to me) makes the most sense is that it's going to be HORRIBLE to support
such an old version (from a security standpoint). The details of who to talk
to are in the above freeze notification, and at the source package page for
sympa (see http://packages.debian.org/testing/source/sympa for that).

The other option is probably easier though:
Since nothing depends on sympa, it should be easy to get the package removed
from Debian, at least for the Etch release.

Yes, you heard right. I'm suggesting that the package gets removed. The old
package is doing nothing for sympa, and in fact potentially causing more
problems for sympa's reputation (and workload answering questions related to
old versions) than anything.

A good way to handle this is to host a Debian package repository on the
sympa.org servers with packages for Debian. It's a simple matter for anyone
who wants to host a sympa install on a Debian machine to add the appropriate
line to their sources.list for a new repository, and it means that
(hopefully) it will be more up to date than the Debian packages. It's not
that hard to build packages (as long as you have an appropriate box to build
on) or to host a repository (it's just a set of files).

Anyway, I've put forth my comment. I personally think this is something that
needs definite consideration, as one of the responses people put forward on
the survey was to update the Debian package, so it definitely appeals to
people.

BTW: Ubuntu, being based on Debian, is also a prime target for such a
package,
as are any of the other systems based on Debian's packaging system. Currently
Ubuntu pull their package from Debian. It'd be nice if a later version of
sympa ended up in their security supported list of packages as well, as they
too are back in the 4.1.5 days (plus, if I'm not mistaken, they don't offer
security support on the package as it's in "Universe" - their package section
for programs that are compiled against Ubuntu and that you can install, but
should not expect security releases for).

--
Stuart Young - aka Cefiar - address@concealed