en - Re: [sympa-users] Welcome message for LDAP includes

  • From: Richard Caldwell <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Cc: Redmond Militante <address@concealed>, address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Welcome message for LDAP includes
  • Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 13:16:26 -0400

On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 09:18 +0200, address@concealed wrote:
> Redmond Militante wrote:

> This is not a bug but a feature ;-) In most cases it would be a problem
> that user received a welcome message in that case but it seems some
> listmaster needs it.

I can confirm that this "feature" is working as described. :)

In working with LDAP sources I can see where one might want it to work
either way. In our case the LDAP sourced lists are read-only announce
lists and the welcome message is to notify the user of related opt-in
discussion lists.

For some announcement lists we wouldn't want any welcome at all.

> We could modify Sympa in order to send welcome
> message easily but we need :
>
> * let the list owner choose if he wants the welcome message to be sent
> * the default to stay unchanged
> * to be able to modify the welcome message depending on the data
> source used to include new users
> * do the same with the bye message ?

This sounds reasonable. My one concern is to make sure that users don't
get unexpected bye or welcome messages if the LDAP resource should
become unavailable for a time.

Thanks,
Richard

--