en - Re: [sympa-users] Upgrade Sympa from 4.1.x to 5.1.2/5.2.x

  • From: Adam Bernstein <address@concealed>
  • To: Chris Peck <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Upgrade Sympa from 4.1.x to 5.1.2/5.2.x
  • Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 11:50:34 -0700

Being the hands-on people that we are, we would like to know more about exactly what happens when we do the "upgrade". Does the sympa.pl only change the mysql db tables, or, does it modify any other files? Do any of the other daemons modify anything that is related to the upgrade? We'd like to be able to carry out the upgrade pieces manually, before we bring up the new version of sympa.

I can't really answer directly, but I will say that I would recommend just going ahead and doing the regular full upgrade install and letting Sympa do what it wants, as it's always done that very well. I've done a number of upgrades on a couple of machines, including to 5.1.2 recently, and it's always gone flawlessly. I think trying to be careful and do it piecemeal and manually is actually just asking for trouble, though of course it never hurts to understand what the software is doing.

Instead, I would just archive a copy of your sympa directory and database before the install, and move them back into place if anything goes wrong.

ab