en - Re: [sympa-users] New CSS interface entirely broken for IE on Mac

  • From: Adam Bernstein <address@concealed>
  • To: Rob McBroom <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] New CSS interface entirely broken for IE on Mac
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 10:07:12 -0700

> That page is having problems right now, so I couldn't read more on the
> problem, but is this due to the SSL bug in IE5 for Mac?

It's not the SSL bug, it's the @media bug -- IE5 for Mac won't see any
CSS info inside a @media rule, and the whole Sympa stylesheet is inside
a @media rule (whatever that is -- I'm not a CSS expert, so this is just
me trying to piece things together and using terms I don't understand).

BTW I realize IE for Mac is a useless piece of crap and no one should be
using it, but as we provide ASP listservice to hundreds of clients who
have hundreds of thousands of subscribers around the world, we don't
have any control over what they use. The best we can do in this case is
insert a browser detection routine and reject users of IE on the Mac,
recommending that they switch to Firefox, and I've now managed to do
that. I'll post the patch on that previous bug report today (assuming
the site is available).

ab