en - [sympa-users] Sympa on OS X

  • From: address@concealed
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Sympa on OS X
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 01:28:11 +0200

Hello,

Hats off the the Sympa developers. I am very impressed by Sympa and look
forward to testing such an ambitious program extensively. I have some
installation related questions. I am using OS X 10.4.2/Postfix.

Q1: suid-perl

It looks to me like OS X cannot use suid-perl. So I ran Apache 1.3 with the
user/group sympa/sympa and it worked ok that way, except that I had trouble
getting fastcgi to work on Apache 1.3. I'm sure it can be done but I decided
to switch to Apache2 and I got fastcgi working very quickly with it. Problem
is, it didn't like being run as the sympa user, though I can't remember the
problem I had with it now. I think it was Apache startup issues.

So I tried installing sympa using --with-user/group as www (the default Apache
user on OS X), and Sympa so far seems to work fine this way. Is there
anything
wrong with doing that?

Q2: alias_manager.pl

When creating lists, I was getting the error:
sympa wwsympa[284]: admin::install_aliases : Unable to run newaliases.

even though my --with-newaliases=/usr/bin/newaliases pointed to the right
place. Then after searching the list archives, I set the aliaswrapper line to
use the newaliases command:
$alias_wrapper = '/usr/bin/newaliases

That worked, but is this an acceptable long term fix or is there a better one?

Also, I discovered some installation bugs:

B1: LOCALEDIR='${prefix}/locale' needs to be removed from the Makefile, since
it renders the "--with-localdir=" config option unusable since it overwrites
the previous statement LOCALEDIR='${LOCALEDIR}' above it.

B2: On OS X I could not get the standard init script to work, but the generic
one works fine with the exception that I removed the line "kill `cat
$pidfilepath/sympa-distribution.pid`". Was the standard init script supposed
to work on OS X or was it the generic one that was supposed to work? What is
sympa-distribution?

Best regards,

Mark

  • [sympa-users] Sympa on OS X, mark . duling, 08/28/2005