en - Re: [sympa-users] Running sympa "web-less"

  • From: Graham Todd <address@concealed>
  • To: Aumont - Comite Reseaux des Universites <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Running sympa "web-less"
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 17:35:48 -0400

Aumont - Comite Reseaux des Universites wrote / a écrit:
> Graham Todd wrote:
>
>> What is the preferred way to "turn off" the web UI management features of
>> sympa (i.e. wwsympa). during installation? Simply not installing
>> wwsympa.[cgi|fcgi] seems to work but I imagine some of the template
>> files can be removed and some of the perl dependencies as well.
>>
> web_tt2 templates can be removed (and also sympa_soap_server.fcgi) but
> that's peanuts. Nearly all (may be all) cpan modules are needed both for
> mail, web and soap interface.

This is what I had concluded. I just needed to hear it from someone more
expert.

The reason I ask is that, as some of my colleagues on this list may already
have mentioned, we're experimenting with a php (drupal) based interface to
sympa. We hope to have it run in parallel to a regular sympa installation:
at first with wwsympa running in tandem. We'd be working to replace and
extend the functionality of wwsympa over time. Any extra database features
that we may need would be defined outside of the current set of tables that
sympa uses.

One of our eventual goals is to make the interface as generalizable as
possible so that, with a little work, practically any MLM that uses a
"pseudo-standardized" set of database tables for user and group management c
could be managed using the php UI. It is still early days in this project so
if this is of interest to anyone or folks have any advice, critique or
warnings, feel free to contact us :-)

We will make the code available once it is ready for public consumption.

Cheers,

--
Graham Todd -- Secrétariat Bellanet Secretariat
tel/tél:613-236-6163 #2443