en - [sympa-users] Problems with bounced.pl

  • From: Edward Rynes <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Problems with bounced.pl
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 16:30:01 -0400

Is it just me or is Sympa's bounced.pl broken for everyone?

The problem is that it tries to use the email To: address as the list name. But the email address is listname-owner. When bounced calls Lists::new() with that name it always fails because it is a reserved name (matches a system alias). The fix is simple, just strip off the "-owner" before you call new. But how did this get into production this way?

Another "bug" that occurs here (and in queue processing in general in Sympa) is that NFS is too slow to write files. If you are running Sympa on an NFS partition (even if it is a high performance NAS device) and you are seeing entries in your log file like "Ignoring empty file", then you have this problem. (grep for "empty" in your logs)

The quick and dirty solution here is to add this into your queue processing scripts:

if (-z "$queue/$file") {
# NFS Sucks!
sleep 5;
}

Are these known issues or should I submit an official bug report?

  • [sympa-users] Problems with bounced.pl, Edward Rynes, 08/24/2005