en - Re: [sympa-users] Upgrading is the answer (was Bad experiences with sympa)

  • From: Olivier Salaün - CRU <address@concealed>
  • To: Johann Spies <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Upgrading is the answer (was Bad experiences with sympa)
  • Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 14:23:18 +0200

Dear Johann,

I just had a try on our 5.1 running sympa service and it appears that sending a message to a list with such email addresses does not make sympa.pl die. Therefore I don't think your hypothesis is correct.

The only way to really find out what made your sympa.pl die would be :
  1. analyse your sympa log files
  2. reproduce the problem with sympa.pl run in debug mode
We can help you to perform (1) if you provide your logs...

Thank you for reporting this problem.

Johann Spies wrote:
Conclusion) Nothing more can be said unless you provide technical details about your specific problem.

Just to refresh your memory.  I had the problem that two of the mailing lists on my server regularly made sympa.pl to die.
[...]
I make regular dumps of the Postgresql-database of Sympa for backup purposes and ran grep on the latest one to check for illegal email addresses after another instance of sympa.pl dying.  I found three email addresses with illegal characters in it - two from one of the lists and the other one from the other lists.  I believe it is not
coincidence that those were the only two lists which made sympa.pl to die.

Example of such email addresses:

address@concealed.
address@concealed>
<mailto: address@concealed>

I wrote a script to check those database dumps on a daily basis and inform me of any such email addresses.

Now my question.  Do the later versions of Sympa have mechanisms to handle such illegal email addresses without dying?