en - Re: [sympa-users] Upgrading is the answer (was Bad experiences with sympa)

  • From: Johann Spies <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Upgrading is the answer (was Bad experiences with sympa)
  • Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 12:28:44 +0200

Hallo Oliver,

> Conclusion) Nothing more can be said unless you provide technical
> details about your specific problem.

Just to refresh your memory. I had the problem that two of the
mailing lists on my server regularly made sympa.pl to die.

The owner of one of those lists with more that 7800 subscribers
stopped using the list as a result of the problem. I could
not determine why ... until a few days ago.

I make regular dumps of the Postgresql-database of Sympa for backup
purposes and ran grep on the latest one to check for illegal email
addresses after another instance of sympa.pl dying. I found three
email addresses with illegal characters in it - two from one of the
lists and the other one from the other lists. I believe it is not
coincidence that those were the only two lists which made sympa.pl to
die.

Example of such email addresses:

address@concealed.
address@concealed>
<mailto: address@concealed>

I wrote a script to check those database dumps on a daily basis and
inform me of any such email addresses.

Now my question. Do the later versions of Sympa have mechanisms to
handle such illegal email addresses without dying?

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies Telefoon: 021-808 4036

"I am crucified with Christ, nevertheless I live; yet
not I, but Christ liveth in me; and the life which I
now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son
of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me."
Galatians 2:20