en - Re: [sympa-users] Cookie warning

  • From: Johann Spies <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Cookie warning
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 11:31:30 +0200

Hallo Olivier,

> The 'cookie' parameter (in the sympa.conf file) is a salt used by Sympa
> to encrypt passwords in its database in a not prectable way. Therefore
> if you change this parameter in sympa.conf, it could existing password
> recognition.
>
> Sympa.pl triggers this warning whenever a change of this parameter is
> detected. The cookies.history is maintained to helkp you recover a
> previous value of the cookie parameter. If you don't have it, then you
> should think about restoring your /etc/sympa.conf file.

Thanks for the explanation. What is strange to me is that the md5sum
of /etc/sympa.conf is the same as a backup of 2005-02-05. So nothing
has changed. And /etc/cookie is also the same as the backup one of
2004-06-23. In /etc/sympa.conf the cookie configuration is:
`bin/cat /etc/sympa/cookie`.

It is possible that the warning appeared earlier and that I just did
not see it. I have a previous version of /etc/cookie which was created
on 2004-05-26. If I would overwrite the present one with that one,
what will break?

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies Telefoon: 021-808 4036

"Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the
life. He that believeth in me, though he were dead,
yet shall he live." John 11:25