en - Re: [sympa-users] Odd characters in archived messages

  • From: Olivier Salaün - CRU <address@concealed>
  • To: Adam Bernstein <address@concealed>
  • Cc: Mark Valiukas <address@concealed>, address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Odd characters in archived messages
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 10:05:52 +0200

We could add configurable incoming filters to Sympa.
But it should be done in an extensible way, using milters for example...

If you have time, you should add your suggestion to our feature request database :
http://listes.cru.fr/mantis

Adam Bernstein wrote:
Actually there's nothing Mhonarc can do with mis-encoding problems. There's no way it can find out these caracters are supposed to be utf-8 encoded. This issue has to be fixed at the Operating system level : it should properly handle charset mapping while doing copy/paste.

I accept that as a reasonable diagnosis, but this is still a problem that seems to come up only when people are composing newsletters and sending them to lists.  So, as far as they're concerned it's a Sympa problem, so we should do our best to fix it.

If Mark's diagnosis is correct, I can imagine a filter on all incoming messages that would look at the character encoding header, then scan for any 8-bit characters, and if it finds them, change the character encoding header to UTF-8...?  I'm speaking somewhat in ignorance here, don't know much about character sets and encoding.  Or it could look for specific 8-bit characters (end-of-line, apostrophe, hyphen) and replace them with appropriate substitutes.