en - Re: [sympa-users] Adding a delivery type - html_summary - patches for 4.0b2

  • From: Chris Hastie <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Adding a delivery type - html_summary - patches for 4.0b2
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 09:26:53 +0000

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Mark Valiukas <address@concealed> wrote
>Chris Hastie wrote:
>
>> Would not this, which only cycles through the list once, be rather
>>more efficient:
>There's all sorts of ideas in circulation for a case statement in
>Perl; I think the one I like most is Switch, preferably with the
>Perl 6 syntax turned on so there will be fewer headaches when 6
>finally arrives.

This question of the number of comparisons each iteration occurred to me
late yesterday and I was planning on getting up this morning and
changing things to if - elsif - else to deal with that:

## Create the list of subscribers in various digest modes
for (my $user = $self->get_first_user(); $user; $user =
$self->get_next_user()) {
if ($user->{'reception'} eq "digest") {
push @tabrcpt, $user->{'email'};
} elsif ($user->{'reception'} eq "summary") {
push @tabrcptsummary, $user->{'email'};
} elsif ($user->{'reception'} eq "digestplain") {
push @tabrcptplain, $user->{'email'};
}
}

which has the advantage, to me at least, of using a syntax I'm familiar
with.

I pretty much have a working plain text digest option now and am
currently throwing most of my incoming mail at a test list to see how
well it copes with real world mail. Whilst this will probably expose it
to a wide variety of mime types and ill-formed mime what it probably
won't do is expose it to much of a variety of character sets. So if
anyone out there fancies sending a few messages in character sets other
than ISO-8859-1 to address@concealed be my guest! Of course, if I
find digests full of messages in Finnish and Malay I'm going to have no
idea what they're supposed to look like...

One thing I need to sort out (well, the one I'm aware of anyway) is
where to put temporary files. MIME::Parser creates a good few of these.
I'm think $Conf{'spool'} ."/tmp", and the obvious way of passing this to
my MyPlainDigest package is as an additional argument, eg:

$msg->{'plain_body'} = $mail->MyPlainDigest::plain_body_as_string(output_dir
=> $Conf{'spool'} ."/tmp");

Any thoughts anyone?
--
Chris Hastie