en - RE: [sympa-users] Text digests with new digest template?

  • From: "Adam Bernstein" <address@concealed>
  • To: "Chris Hastie" <address@concealed>, <address@concealed>
  • Subject: RE: [sympa-users] Text digests with new digest template?
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 16:54:41 -0800

> My guess (and it is a guess - I haven't studied the code at all) is that
> this would be a lot trickier than it sounds. If your list gets four
> messages using four different character sets, one using
> content-transfer-encoding of 7bit, one of 8bit, one of quoted-printable
> and one of base64, which character set and CTE would your plain text
> digest use? And what if some of the list messages include attachments or
> are of the dreaded multipart/alternative content-type?

I've thought about HTML in messages and attachments, and I was going
to get to those once I worked this out: they should just be stripped
out, leaving text only, which I don't think is too hard. Character
encoding I hadn't thought about, but let's just say I don't care
that much -- I'm willing to make some assumptions and ignore some
potential problems.

I mean, Topica, Yahoo, Mailman, and just about every other listserver
somehow manages to do text digests (with varying success, I grant),
and it's absurd that Sympa can't. As far as I know at the moment, AOL
and Hotmail (and maybe Yahoo?) users are all unable to read Sympa MIME
digests, or at least to read them comfortably. Any rough solution is
better than that.

So, any help for this ARRAY 0xXXXXX problem when including [body]?

ab