en - Re: [sympa-users] Text digests with new digest template?

  • From: Chris Hastie <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Text digests with new digest template?
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 17:11:23 +0000

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Adam Bernstein <address@concealed> wrote
Has anyone successfully altered the new digest template (I'm
using 4.0b2) to create a plaintext digest, with just the message
body and not all the headers included? Inserting [full_msg] gives
all the headers, while [body] just gives an "ARRAY 0xXXXXXXX" output,
because the Perl call that creates [body] returns a pointer, not a
string. But even after adding code to List.pm to create a single
string from the body array, I still get the ARRAY junk, so I'm confused.

My guess (and it is a guess - I haven't studied the code at all) is that this would be a lot trickier than it sounds. If your list gets four messages using four different character sets, one using content-transfer-encoding of 7bit, one of 8bit, one of quoted-printable and one of base64, which character set and CTE would your plain text digest use? And what if some of the list messages include attachments or are of the dreaded multipart/alternative content-type?

I would love Sympa to offer subscribers the option of getting digests as multipart/digest or text/plain, and possibly even multipart/mixed (m/digest confuses a few clients, m/mixed is more universally understood), but creating text/plain digests is far from simple these days and I suspect it will require a lot more than tinkering with a template. All your message bodies will need to be converted to the same character set and CTE before they can be strung together. I suppose there is UTF-8 though...

--
Chris Hastie