en - Re: [sympa-users] ignoring bouncing subscribers?

  • From: Aumont - Comite Reseaux des Universites <address@concealed>
  • To: Thomas Barth <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] ignoring bouncing subscribers?
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 17:39:51 +0100

Thomas Barth wrote:

And how does sympa manage crashes accidently caused during the mailing

process? At the end of the month we want to send a newsletter to about
600000 community-members by using sympa for the first time. Does sympa
support "resuming"? Will sympa proceed with the firt email address that
couldn't be sent? It's very important that one recipient gets only one
email.

Thomas

I did explain that taht sympa do not manage check point a few days ago : http://listes.cru.fr/wws/arc/sympa-users/2004-01/msg00007.html

Currently, if you want to do it how to do it "by hand" :

* dump the related list running sympa --dump <listname>
* configure the list to have the higher priority because in case of
a crash/restart you will be unhappy if some
subscribtion/unsubscribtion in the list occurs before the
distribution task is finished.
* run sympa.pl using option "-m", it will log each subscriber email
when broadcasting the message. * If a crash occurs (it should not !) : write a small awk/grep/perl
script that remove each subscriber where his email as been logued
by sympa then retart Sympa and send a "kill -TERM" as soon as the
distribution restart.
* When the distribution is finished, sympa will stop (because the
TERM signal) so you can restore the subscriber list before some
subscribtion/unsubscribtion occurs.

We did it a very long time ago, and it works but for a long time now we ignore sympa crashes :-)

We have added "check point and restart" in our TODO, it will be very easy to introduce it in Sympa.

Regards
Serge