en - Database table usage?

  • From: "Jim Rowan" <address@concealed>
  • To: <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Database table usage?
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 15:11:47 -0600

Hi,

I just installed 3.4.4.3. We're using it for various private mailing
lists for internal use and to send newsletters to our customers. I'm
looking at how to integrate sympa's database with our contacts database
and to share the information with other systems.

I'm a bit confused about how the user_table and subscriber_table are
used, particularly by wwsympa.

- I notice that wwsympa apparently uses comment_subscriber to display
the gecos information, and if comment_subscriber is empty (even if
gecos_user has a name in it) nothing is shown on the web interface. How
(if at all) does comment_subscriber get set and/or updated? Is it
refreshed automatically from the user_table?

- (Related:) I want to have an addition field in the database,
"company". It seems obvious to me that this should go in the user
table, but from what I can tell wwsympa only uses additional fields from
the subscriber table. Do I have to mirror all my additional fields into
the subscriber table?

Is any of this different in 4.0?

Thanks,
Jim Rowan