en - Re: [sympa-users] Database table usage?

  • From: Olivier Salaun - CRU <address@concealed>
  • To: Jim Rowan <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Database table usage?
  • Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 11:04:21 +0100

Jim Rowan wrote:

[...]I'm a bit confused about how the user_table and subscriber_table are
used, particularly by wwsympa.

- I notice that wwsympa apparently uses comment_subscriber to display
the gecos information, and if comment_subscriber is empty (even if
gecos_user has a name in it) nothing is shown on the web interface. How
(if at all) does comment_subscriber get set and/or updated? Is it
refreshed automatically from the user_table?

gecos_user is just used to initialize comment_subscriber, they can diverge afterward.

- (Related:) I want to have an addition field in the database,
"company". It seems obvious to me that this should go in the user
table, but from what I can tell wwsympa only uses additional fields from
the subscriber table. Do I have to mirror all my additional fields into
the subscriber table?

You can declare additional fields for both user and subscriber table and these fields will be available within both templates and authorization scenarios. But only subscriber additional fields are editable (from the editsubscriber page) just because there is currently no feature to browse entries of user_table in WWSympa. But I guess we could allow editing of these fields from the editsubscriber page just as we do with the preffered language... But we feared that some of the "global" information (stored in user table) should be private and therefore not shown to all list owners. This required a way for the listmaster to define who could see/edit each additional field and that was just too much setup for such a feature...

What are your needs ?

--
Olivier Salaun
Comite Reseau des Universites