en - Re: [sympa-users] First installation...

  • From: Marco Gaiarin <address@concealed>
  • To: Olivier Salaun - CRU <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] First installation...
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 15:44:36 +0200

Mandi! Olivier Salaun - CRU
In chel di` si favelave...

> Sorry for not responding earlier...

Oh, no problem... i'm learning sympa and this is enought for me for
some weeks... ;)

> The best place to hack Sympa for feeding news would be the archived.pl
> program. This is a daemon that is scanning the outgoing spool where
> sympa.pl stores messages to be web-archived. Here is the piece of
> archived.pl that starts the processing of a message :
> do_log('notice',"Archiving $file for list $adrlist");
> mail2arc ($file, $listname, $hostname, $yyyy, $mm, $dd, $hh, $min,
> $ss) ;
> Plugging a new gateway there should be easy.

I think that hack sympa is not needed.

I've see the mhonarc configuration parameter in wwsympa.conf file.
If as i suppose the mhonarc binary are called passing it (as a file or
stdin) the message in RFC822 format, will be very easy to attach a
script that call mhonarc and the gate script.
I can try to write this script by hand, but if you confirm this, and
say me the argument of mhonarc call...

The problem could be that if for some list you disable the web
archiving, there's no way to get also the list converted to news, but i
think that this is not a real issue (if a list is so private that don't
have a web archive, don't make sense to have for it a news gate... ;).

Another problem will occur if there's the need to regenerate the web
archive, all message will be posted again to news (but also this is not
grave... if you preserve date, too old postings are rejected and not so
old postings are rejected as duplicates by news server).

Clearly will be better a general ``export interface'', i think suffices
two simple statement (but in sympa.conf) like:

export_program /bin/something
export_params some possibly=complex -parameter --list

and call that binary, with that parameters, for every post that pass
authentication.

For the converse, i see that can be subscribed to a list an email and
configure it to not receive mail. This suffices for closed lists, this
is the method i use with smartlist (accept2 file, for the smartlist user
reading ;).

Again some problem arises if the list are strictly moderated (all posts
go to the moderator/owner), but again i think that this is not a big
problem, posts form the news server will be moderated as the other
mails.

> Please let us know if write a patch that provides list2news gateway :)

Confirm me that i can write a wrapper around mhonarc call, and i will
produce a breaf text describing how to setup a gate.

If can be implemented the general ``export interface'', all will be
simple... ;-)))

--
dott. Marco Gaiarin GNUPG Key ID: 240A3D66
Associazione ``La Nostra Famiglia'' http://www.sv.lnf.it/

Proteggiamo l'innovazione in Europa: no ai brevetti software
http://swpat.xsec.it/