en - Re: [sympa-users] followup question re. include2

  • From: Miles Fidelman <address@concealed>
  • To: Aumont - Comite Reseaux des Universites <address@concealed>
  • Cc: Miles Fidelman <address@concealed>, Olivier Salaun - CRU <address@concealed>, <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] followup question re. include2
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 10:19:40 -0400 (EDT)

Serge,

Thanks for the additional info - which, of course, leads to a few more
questions. These questions are motivated by trying to figure out how to
keep list data in sync with a larger, external database of people who
might or might not be on several different lists.

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, Aumont - Comite Reseaux des Universites wrote:

> Like any other list : if subscribe (unbsubscribe,add,del) scenario allow
> such operation it can be done even if the list user_data_source is
> include2.

If user is included from an external data surce, does he/she get a welcome
email, or some message that tells the user he/she can subscribe himself?

If user is included from an external data source, then unsubscribes, what
happens the next time Sympa refreshes it's subscriber list from the
external source? What prevents the user from being added back to the
list?

If an address starts bouncing, does that information get stored in the
external database or Sympa's internal database?

> In case a user is member of the list because of one include
> paragraphe, he will receive a apropriate notice when unsubscribing.

Can you point me to the code module where this happens? That might help me
understand the details of what happens.

> If he did subscribe himself (via mail or web interface), he will stay
> member of the list even if the include paragraphe that he come from
> change. In addition he can choose his subscribtion option.

What happens if a list member is dropped from the external data source?
Does the user get some kind of notification when that happens?

On a more general note: What kinds of events/actions does include2 add
that can be used in defining scenarii and tasks?

Thanks very much,

Miles Fidelman

The Center for Civic Networking PO Box 600618
Miles R. Fidelman, President & Newtonville, MA 02460-0006
Director, Municipal Telecommunications
Strategies Program 617-558-3698 fax: 617-630-8946
address@concealed http://civic.net/ccn.html

Information Infrastructure: Public Spaces for the 21st Century
Let's Start With: Internet Wall-Plugs Everywhere
Say It Often, Say It Loud: "I Want My Internet!"