en - RE: [sympa-users] OK, next step...

  • From: "Adam Bernstein" <address@concealed>
  • To: <address@concealed>
  • Cc: <address@concealed>
  • Subject: RE: [sympa-users] OK, next step...
  • Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 16:48:30 -0700

One of the best techniques I found for debugging non-wwsympa problems
was to run sympa.pl in foreground debug mode -- "sympa.pl -d" -- and
watch the output as you try to do things. That might help. Also, be
sure to watch your system message log in addition to mail and Web error
logs for any hints.

This particular problem is once again ringing a bell as one of the many
hitches I also had in getting my system running, which I somehow managed
to solve but can't remember how. I assume postfix itself is known to be
working? If so, the problem is clearly between Sympa and Postfix,
probably that the sendmail executable is just not getting called. If
the path you've given is correct on your system, then I don't know why
that would be. If it were any other kind of configuration problem then
you would at least expect errors to show up in your mail log, but I'd
still check to make sure that, for instance, the basic Sympa aliases are
installed (in /etc/aliases or wherever):

sympa: "| /home/sympa/bin/queue sympa"
listmaster: "| /home/sympa/bin/queue listmaster"
bounc+*: "| /home/sympa/bin/bouncequeue sympa"
sympa-request: postmaster
sympa-owner: postmaster

in case Postfix is doing some kind of checking on the From: line to make
sure that it's a valid address in the local domain before accepting the
outgoing message (though you'd expect a mail log error from that). I'd
also check the virtual domain setup, in particular the "virtual" file,
if you're using virtual robots.

adam