en - Re: [sympa-users] Spam handling in Sympa

  • From: aumont <address@concealed>
  • To: Kjetil Kjernsmo <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Spam handling in Sympa
  • Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2002 22:01:00 +0200

Most of my lists must be public, and as open as possible, but unfortunately, they also attract many spammers, and to such a degree, protecting subscribers from spam becomes a very high-priority task.
How can I configure Sympa to protect my subscribers from spam?
The best way is to make list private : it's to say that only subscriber can submit messages. If this is not what you want, in addition you can configure sympa in order to submit incomming messages from non subscribers to the list editor.

It seems like the most efficient rule is to disallow postings where the list address does not appear in the To or CC field of the post.
That possible and can be mixed with other configuration.

Disallowing posts that have many addresses in To or CC and with size over a certain limit also helps. Filtering on the value of certain headers is also diserable (mostly because dedicated anti-spam software executed before Sympa can insert them to be easily identified).
Filtering a mail based on a header is easy to do.

However, since there is always a risk that legimate e-mail is falsely tagged "spam" by these procedures, it is important that the messages are sent to the moderator for approval and not merely rejected.
Can I configure Sympa to do this for me?

All this is possible with Sympa system named "scenarii".

Regards
Serge Aumont

  • Spam handling in Sympa, Kjetil Kjernsmo, 06/02/2002
    • Re: [sympa-users] Spam handling in Sympa, aumont, 06/02/2002