en - Spam handling in Sympa

  • From: Kjetil Kjernsmo <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Spam handling in Sympa
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 14:12:13 +0200

Dear all,

After a week in pain trying to get Mailman up on an Exim server, I
installed Sympa last night (from Debian Woody). I only have three
domains that I want lists on, it can't be that hard... :-)
Sympa looks very nice, before I dive deeper into the configuration,
there are some features that are important to me that I haven't seen
addressed extensively in the documentation, that I'd like to ask you
about.

Most of my lists must be public, and as open as possible, but
unfortunately, they also attract many spammers, and to such a degree,
protecting subscribers from spam becomes a very high-priority task.
How can I configure Sympa to protect my subscribers from spam?

It seems like the most efficient rule is to disallow postings where the
list address does not appear in the To or CC field of the post.
Disallowing posts that have many addresses in To or CC and with size
over a certain limit also helps. Filtering on the value of certain
headers is also diserable (mostly because dedicated anti-spam software
executed before Sympa can insert them to be easily identified).

However, since there is always a risk that legimate e-mail is falsely
tagged "spam" by these procedures, it is important that the messages
are sent to the moderator for approval and not merely rejected.

Can I configure Sympa to do this for me?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Best,

Kjetil