en - TR: ListProc has been open-sourced

  • From: "Nicolas Brouard" <address@concealed>
  • To: <address@concealed>
  • Subject: TR: ListProc has been open-sourced
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 15:14:32 +0100

For information

Anastasios Kotsikonas was the developer of listproc, which itself came from
listserv and originally was first written by Eric Thomas as Listserver on
IBM machines and Bitnet (mid 80's as far as I remember). Each version has
been privatised and changed its name. Listserv was a remake of Listserver
for Unix machines and was written in C.
Listserv has evolved but Anastasios decided to freeze the public codes, to
name it Listproc and to maintain and distribute its own Listserv private
product. Many people like me have used listproc and then moved to Majordomo
or Sympa or Mailman or ...

I haven't looked at version 8.2_09 of listproc but like Netscape it is
probably too late to open-source it now. The new developpers of Listproc
should probably waste less time by joining Sympa's developper team...

Nicolas Brouard
address@concealed
Institut national d'etudes demographiques
Paris