en - Using GPG/PGP encryption with SYMPA

  • From: Rene Pfeiffer <address@concealed>
  • To: Sympa-users <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Using GPG/PGP encryption with SYMPA
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 20:11:14 +0100 (CET)

Hello!

I am using SYMPA for over a year now but I never touched the S/MIME
configuration [*]. A few days ago someone on a hacker/coder mailing list
brought up the topic of having encrypted mailing lists with GPG/PGP public
keys. The points that were discussed can be summarized by the following
"requirements":

- public keys are used for encryption
- the list server should encrypt the message
a) individually to every list member
b) or to all list members
- the list server should have the ability to retrieve subscriber's public
keys from keyservers
- the list server should be able to receive public keys from subscribers
and relay them to a local keyserver
- every mailing list should have its own public key for posting messages

Did anyone of the SYMPA users or developers think of such a scenario? Is
this feasible? Did someone do some experiments? The lists of this kind would
operate with a small number of users (let's say a few hundred). The list
manager could use public keys from a dedicated keyserver nearby.

I think it would be good idea to think of a plugin API for these kind of
"crazy ideas".

Best regards,
René

[*] The reason for not using the S/MIME capability is the effort you need
for a local CA.

GNU/Linux Manages! - Linux Solution Provider
RP551296-NICAT - Open Software for Open Minds