en - Re: [sympa-users] LDAP related

  • From: Aumont <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] LDAP related
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 09:46:59 +0100

address@concealed wrote:

> Hi,
> Is it possible to use ldap users accounts with encrypted passwords
> with sympa? (For example I have iPlanet Directory, which configured to work
> with native Solaris 8 ldap client).

What is your need ? Is it related to the communication from the http
client to htpp sympa server or from Sympa server to the LDAP server ?
In the first case it's easy to use https, on the second the Sympa LDAP
client feature do not use LDAP aver SSL communication so the password is
sent in a uncrypted form. This is a limit of LDAP authentication
process. Even if you have configured you LDAP server to store password
in a encrypted form, this is only a internal protection of the LDAP
server, not a way to secure incomming authentication request.

If you install a server certificate into your iPlanet Directory server,
you can try to use LDAPS communication for exemple configuring Sympa to
use Stunnel (www.stunnel.org) transparent proxy.

Regards
Serge
Serge Aumont Comité Réseaux des Universités
Campus Beaulieu
35042 Rennes Cedex

  • LDAP related, ivan, 01/04/2002
    • Re: [sympa-users] LDAP related, Aumont, 01/07/2002