en - Sympa and Security

  • From: address@concealed (Mitchell)
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Sympa and Security
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 06:04:14 +1100

Hi list,

I would jjust like to look at Sympa's security for a minute.

Over the years I have used several other mailing list managers including
Listar, Mailman, Majordomo, and ezmlm-idx and have
found them all to be relitivly good, but none of them until Sympa allowed me
to use PostgreSQL as a back end which si why I
am currently using the Sympa list manager.

My main consern is with the subscribe and unsubscribe functions of Sympa.
When a user sends a request off to a list, ie
email address@concealed with a message of "SUB sympa-users" they are given a email
asking them to click a link to confirm there
subscription. This sends another email to address@concealed with a subject of
"subscribe sympa-users", OK so you already knew
this.

My point is that anyone could send a message ot address@concealed and then a
minute later send off the confirmation email to
subscribe that address to the list. Most other list managers send a unique
key or password to the user which the user then
has to email back to the list merver to complete the subscribe confirmation.
In other words, unless you actually get the
confirmation email that the list server sends out, you can't subscribe to the
list.

This strikes me as generally being far more secure than the way Sympa handles
subscribe confirmations at the moment. To cut
a very long winded story short, is it at all possible to get sympa to do
something like this to make the subscribe
confirmation process a bit more secure???

Thanks for any help you can give.

Later!

From Mitchell

  • Sympa and Security, Mitchell, 01/06/2002