en - Expereinces with large Sympa installations?

  • From: Harald Wilhelmi <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Expereinces with large Sympa installations?
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 10:37:37 +0200

Hallo,

at the moment I'm evaluating mailing list solutions for a
large intranet. The scenario looks roughly like that:

40000 users
4000 mailing lists

The biggest problem with the old system (hacked Majordomo+home-brewed
Web interface) is slow operation of certain admin tasks in the
web interface. It's believed that this is just caused by the fact
that UNIX file systems need sequential searchs to find files in
large directories (with 4000 entries...). If that's the problem Sympa
might have the same problem. However I believe that there must be more
because this data should be quite well chached (I-node cache + name cache).

My Sympa installations were a lot smaller so far.
Has anyone experiences with Sympa in installations of this size?
Esspecially concerning performances of the web interface?

Thank you very much in advance!
Harald Wilhelmi

Harald Wilhelmi Betastr. 9A
Partner 85774 Unterfoehring
TNG Technology Consulting GmbH Tel: +49(89)21589960
address@concealed Web: www.tngtech.com