en - Reply rate

  • From: DDT Webmaster <address@concealed>
  • To: Sympa Users <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Reply rate
  • Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 12:44:22 -0400

Today was the official day using Sympa and Postfix and I have to say I'm
impressed. I have three mailing lists with subscibers totalling about
3000, 9000, and 15000 respectivly and just migrated from a system using
qmail and ezmlm. The old system took about an hour to an hour and a half
to send out a daily newsletter to the three lists. I don't have exact
numbers yet, but it appears Sympa and Postfix was able to do it in less
than half an hour.

My question concerns replies. This is a newsletter format that we send
out and subscriber posting is not allowed. I was able to handle that
using the newsletter template provided, but I did recieved about 120
emails that were either autoresponders, or mailing system software not
properly bouncing messages. Instead of a regular bounce, they actually
sent a reply saying "couldn't deliver for whatever reason". Most of
these I just deleted without taking any action. I was wondering if there
would be a way to configure the reply-to system like the
bounce_warn_rate, where I could set a default number of replies before I
get notified. My other option is to set-up a reply mailbox and set the
repy-to address to this, perhaps a mailbox that just sends mail into
the bit bin. The problem here is that this would allow me ingore
people's autoresponsers and spam messages, but wouldn't let me pick up
on those few bad addresses that come in this way. Perhaps someone with
some more experience with Sympa with a similar situation could tell me
how you handled it.

-- DynamicDaytrader.com Webmaster
address@concealed