en - Re: [sympa-users] Reply rate

  • From: Olivier Salaun <address@concealed>
  • To: DDT Webmaster <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Reply rate
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 16:35:25 +0200

DDT Webmaster wrote:

> > You should be able to increase these performances. We are using Sympa
> > with sendmail ; it takes Sympa 4,6 minutes to deliver process a message
> > (28Ko) to 15 000 subscribers.

> Things are a bit slower today than yesterday. On your 4-6 minute process
> to 15,000 subscribers, what type of connection to the backbone do you
> have? That might play a role, and we are only connected with a T-1 line.

We have a 10M line.

> > I suggest you send a reminder to the subscribers (REMIND command) and do
> > some cleanup in the list.
>
> We are already setting that up after your last message. Using ezmlm
> previously with it's bounce removal feature and subscription
> confirmation system, two of the lists are not too bad, with a bounce
> rate of about 4% with 15,000 subscribers. I look forward to when this
> feature is implimented in Sympa.

This is in Sympa's TODO.
Hopefully it will be implented soon.

> I noticed when signing up for this list, you have added a confirmation
> feature by requiring that people put in their password before they are
> actually signed up. This is an excellent option and will be adding the
> same type of feature to my list. Previously it was handled with a
> confirmation email that had to be replied to. Just a couple quick
> questions on that note. How are you generating the password for the
> email without actually adding them to the database?

The initial password is a MD5 hash of the user's email and the srver's
secret (cookie). Once the person has subscribed to a list or customized
his preferences. His/her password is stored in the database.

> I also noticed that
> some of the passwords are in the database without encryption, and a
> couple are encrypted. I presume this is what the crypt_password.pl
> script is for, but won't that mess up the ones that are already
> encrypted?

Sympa encrypts password in Cipher::Saber library is installed.
If you have been using Sympa without this library, you probably
have uncrypted password in your database. To encrypt them, run
the crypt_passwd.pl.

Sympa can manage both types of passwords (crypted or not) in the
same db.

--
Olivier Salaün
Comité Réseaux des Universités