devel - [sympa-developpers] Should we take the ownership of MHonArc? (or fork it)

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Luc Didry <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-developpers] Should we take the ownership of MHonArc? (or fork it)
  • Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2019 11:32:16 +0100

Hello,

MHonArc¹ is the central piece of Sympa for list archiving.
Unfortunately, the module don’t have proper metadatas and has some
bugs with modern Perl (i.e. > 5.12²). This comes with problems on
installation (See the mail from Jörg Klein on this list, on last
sunday, subject: "Re: [sympa-developpers] [sympa-announce] Sympa
6.2.49 beta 3 released"³) and usage. For the installation, as I
remember, cpanm can’t check the version of MHonArc since it’s not in
its metadatas so it think that the installation failed. For the bugs,
you have to patch MHonArc to make it work properly.

The module has not been updated for more than five years (last
release: april 2014).

So here’s my proposal: either ask PAUSE for the ownership of the
module or fork it and publish a new module, with correct metadatas and
ready for new perl versions.

What do you think?

¹ https://metacpan.org/release/MHonArc
² https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=76857
³ Sorry, I can’t give the link to the list’s archive, I’m stuck on the
"I’m not a spammer" button page
--
Luc
"La route est longue, mais la voie est libre…" https://framasoft.org

Framasoft ne vit que par vos dons (déductibles des impôts). Merci d'avance
pour votre soutien https://soutenir.framasoft.org