devel - [sympa-developpers] Policy for merging on beta/rc phase

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Luc Didry <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-developpers] Policy for merging on beta/rc phase
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2018 14:06:59 +0200

Hello,

If I understand well the branching convention of Sympa, sympa-6.2
contains (obviously) the code of sympa-6.2.

We're now on a beta phase for 6.2.38 (well, 6.2.37 beta, that will
become 6.2.38 once beta is finished).
There is no, AFAIK, a 6.2.37 or 6.2.38 branches. So 6.2.37 is based on
sympa-6.2 branch, right?

What happens for pull requests? They are for sympa-6.2 branch. Does it
means that a merged PR during the beta phase would be in 6.2.37?

When creating a beta for the next release, shouldn't we create a new
branch, of the name of the beta, that will only get bugfixes for the
beta? (Those bugfixes would obviously need to get ported to the main
(sympa-6.2) branch)
It would improve the stability of the release, wouldn't it?

Think about it as feature-freeze, quite like Debian does a freeze when
preparing its next release.

What do you think about it?

Maybe I'm wrong, it may be already handled that way, but I see no clue
that it's the case.
--
Luc
"La route est longue, mais la voie est libre…" https://framasoft.org

Framasoft ne vit que par vos dons (déductibles des impôts). Merci d'avance
pour votre soutien https://soutenir.framasoft.org