devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] Policy for merging on beta/rc phase

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Soji Ikeda <address@concealed>
  • To: Luc Didry <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] Policy for merging on beta/rc phase
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2018 22:20:40 +0900

Hi Luc,

2018/10/16 21:06、Luc Didry <address@concealed>のメール:

> Hello,
>
> If I understand well the branching convention of Sympa, sympa-6.2
> contains (obviously) the code of sympa-6.2.
>
> We're now on a beta phase for 6.2.38 (well, 6.2.37 beta, that will
> become 6.2.38 once beta is finished).
> There is no, AFAIK, a 6.2.37 or 6.2.38 branches. So 6.2.37 is based on
> sympa-6.2 branch, right?
>
> What happens for pull requests? They are for sympa-6.2 branch. Does it
> means that a merged PR during the beta phase would be in 6.2.37?
>
> When creating a beta for the next release, shouldn't we create a new
> branch, of the name of the beta, that will only get bugfixes for the
> beta? (Those bugfixes would obviously need to get ported to the main
> (sympa-6.2) branch)
> It would improve the stability of the release, wouldn't it?
>
> Think about it as feature-freeze, quite like Debian does a freeze when
> preparing its next release.
>
> What do you think about it?

You aren’t wrong, but it depends.

Our software is not so stable as those Debian maintains. To think about
feature-freeze, we at first improve codebase to make it so stable that we can
define “feature”.
I think we are working for such goal. In the other words, currently Sympa is
far from stable, even if it is “stable” release.

For example, see PR #424. This was almost entire rewrite. Older (currently
I recommended) style of coding, accumulated contradictory modifications,
dangerous behavior (or feature?), etc. etc.
Without getting rid of those, we cannot read and understand code well.
And, this is not only example —- rather such cases are usual in current
codebase.

(On the other hands, continuous integration is not so bad for software and
community. So we would better to accept contributed improvements and to
release it as fast as we can.)

BTW, I want to finish my “refactoring” work in this year (but it delays:
maybe in the next spring). I have reported my work twice or so by year.
I’ll report the next time in December. Please read it and give comments and
suggestions.

*

Anyways, I want to ask you to install recent version (either beta or git
clone) on your pc and to check it! Please!
I’m very discontent that there seem very little people checking Sympa before
stable release.

Honestly I think, currently, release process is not the point...

Regards,
— Soji