devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] Abandoning Task::Sympa

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: IKEDA Soji <address@concealed>
  • To: Marc Chantreux <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] Abandoning Task::Sympa
  • Date: Sun, 27 May 2018 15:03:49 +0900

On Sat, 26 May 2018 10:55:43 +0200
Marc Chantreux <address@concealed> wrote:

> hello,
>

> On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 04:17:13PM +0200, Luc Didry wrote:
> > After cpanfile has been officialy accepted (merged), you could backpan
> > Task::Sympa, but to me, there is no hurry to do it now.
>
> i realize i wasn't clear on this:
>
> i'm sure that people who are used to perl toolchain will prefer it over
> the system packages and we are developpers... we all love plackup :)
>
> but to me, unix distro packagers are persons we really should care a lot
> because distro packaging is the best way to enlist new users and get lot
> of feedback so i really would like us to ease there job.
>
> the way i see it (but i'm not good at packaging), as long as there is
> a Task::Sympa on cpan, some can
>
> dh-make-perl --build --cpan Task::Sympa
>
> to have a good start. i don't know if this tooling exists with carton.
> Also using aptitude install libtask-sympa-perl instead of carton should
> could be a good way to spot and report bugs to distro packagers.

As far as I know, packages providing Sympa with following
distributions do not depend on build systems based on CPAN:

- ArchLinux
- Debian/Ubuntu
- FreeBSD/NetBSD/OpenBSD/DragonFly BSD
- RPM (RHEL/CentOS/Fedora)

Module dependencies are managed by method specific to each distro.
List of dependent modules and their versions are maintained according
to policies specific to each distro (respecting suggestions by
upstream). --- For example, RPM above requires packages (not CPAN)
providing modules specified mandatory or optional in ModDef.pm, and
add two more packages not suggested by upstream to improve usability.

Thus, package like libtask-sympa-perl do not exist with any distros
above. I think it may be the same with any other distros providing
package management system.

Of course users also may install any Perl software using CPAN.

Regards,
-- Soji

--
株式会社 コンバージョン