devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] Github label for issues suitable for beginners

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: IKEDA Soji <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] Github label for issues suitable for beginners
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2018 13:21:23 +0900

On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 17:29:39 +0100
David Verdin <address@concealed> wrote:

> I agree with "Beginner suitable". It's self-explanatory and could be
> documtented to spread the word to would-be contributors: "Try to fix a
> 'beginner suitable' issue first."

I feel [newbie] is good, because it may have effect to lower a
threashold againt joining newcomers.

However, I think one of purpose of labels is accumulating knowledge,
such as way of configuration in particular use case. By this point,
it seems not matter whether submitter is newbie or not.

I have been using [question] label for this purpose, but feel not
fitting best.

On this occasion I'll write about some other labels.

- [design]: Created by ikedas
On design (not logo design), often including external or
internal changes of features.
Since such issues tend to lead relatively long discussion and
trials, I have been adding it for monitoring and reminder.

- [security]: Created by racke
The issue that implies security impact. It looks not limited to
direct impact to Sympa (e.g. issue #78).

I also use labels to compile Release Notes (NEWS.md) as following:

- [bug]
If closed, appears on "Fixed bugs" section in NEWS.md.
- [design]
(By now, there are no closed tickets tagged only by this label)
- [duplicate]
Won't appear in NEWS.md.
- [enhancement]
If closed, appears on "Implemented enhancements" section in NEWS.md.
- [help wanted]

- [invalid]
Won't appear in NEWS.md.
- [question]
If closed, appears on "Closed issues" section in NEWS.md.
- [security]
If closed, appears on "Fixed bugs" section in NEWS.md.
- [wontfix]
Won't appear in NEWS.md, in most cases.

I don't label PRs linking to some issue; individual PR is labeled.

Tickets without labels have to be put in appropriate section by
hand. That's why I eagerly label the tickets.

Regards,
-- Soji

Alexandre Franke, I'm grad to see you involved.

--
株式会社 コンバージョン
ITソリューション部 システムソリューション1グループ 池田荘児