devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] Github label for issues suitable for beginners

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Alexandre Franke <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] Github label for issues suitable for beginners
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 18:55:13 +0100

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 5:17 PM, Stefan Hornburg (Racke)
<address@concealed> wrote:
> Hello,

Hi,

> we are wondering which label to use for easy issues suitable for beginners.

*Nod* that’s an issue all projects face at some point.

> IMHO "help wanted" is ambigious, because it could also mean that we don't
> have the necessary knowhow
> for that problem.

I agree that this is not great.

> I like "Beginner suitable", which we use on the Dancer2 Git repository.

Say someone with 25 years of programming experience but with 0 sympa
experience wants to give a hand. I assume one of those issue would be
a good starting place for them to get to know sympa better, but they
might be put off by the word beginner which they probably feel doesn’t
fit their situation.

In GNOME we ended up with “newcomers” which addresses all these issues nicely.

Cheers,

--
Alexandre Franke
GNOME Hacker & Foundation Director