devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] working together

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Marc Chantreux <address@concealed>
  • To: Soji Ikeda <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] working together
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2018 09:03:50 +0100

hello Soji,

> I can’t agree to all of your post below.

do you mean you disagree everything ?

> Especially, I definitely disagree to your argument that “core
> developers” should not use function of GitHub.

please notice that none of us said that.

> You should tell us the basis of your argument to persuade us.

sympa-developpers was the way to exchange those kind of exchanges
way before gh and worked well. we agreed that we should test the gh
issues to replace the tracker, not the mailing list. so please persuade
us to adopt a change in the workflow you did without debating it with
the community.

if you are open to the debate, i'll enjoy reading you but as you asked
me, i can give you my opinion on it:

* i don't follow every issues but i carefully read developpers
(as i did on other projects)
* fixing bugs and talking about architecture isn't the same
at all so i think it's nice to open the list archive to
know about the direction of sympa (not doing some wishfull digging
into tickets)
* as racke said on my very last gh comment: we should be careful
to restrict information. in your last issue, you just wanted
to introduce behavior changes in a patchlevel version. Worse:
you removed the CGI level in a patchlevel version. As system
administrator as a patchlevel should be applied confidently so
if i was one of them, i would be very upset. This should be debated
but GH issues aren't the good tool to have a thread that is
potentially long and large.

you did an amazing job by taking care of the entrant issues, tagging
them and releasing new versions of sympa and i think every members of
the community is grateful on it (i really am) but David took this
community bound by listening to everyone, not taking abitrary decisions
without even discuss them.

We have to walk on his steps of widsom and that's what the hackathon
was: i wanted something to happens that respect this idea the way David
did the things so i had a list of suggestions, all debated, some
rejected because i care what people think (especially using such an old
version of perl when most of us are running 5.24 and more). I even
polled sympa-users for those kind of decisions. You removed CGI support
without even pinging developpers.

Now our arrival (David and I) at Renater is done, David and I will be
involved in the sympa code and i will use this list to make RFC as
long as there is no clear majority to use gh to talk about design.

Regards
Marc