devel - [sympa-developpers] Precising objectives regarding 7.0

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-developpers] Precising objectives regarding 7.0
  • Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2014 18:09:00 +0100

Dear all,

I'm glad to see that you did a lot of commits in the trunk recently. Guillaume told me that Soji did a great work regarding indentation corrections. I'm glad to see we achioeve to work together!

This message is aimed at making clear what are the expected developments for the 7.0 version of Sympa, due in early July. This will help us arbitrate development decisions in case they would become a source of flamewar, the concept being: "If it goes towards a development goal wihout hampering another development goal, then it's OK, whatever means are employed to achieve the goal".

Here are the main goals:

  • Get rid of circular dependencies,
  • Get rid of dead code,
  • Separate clearly oo and non oo paradigm. Stop using classes to store states (use singletons instead)
  • Leave, in Sympa top level modules hierarchy, only those modules that correspond to a clear and essential concept in Sympa,
  • Rationalize subs usage : get rid of redondancy in functionnalities (functions that "do more or less the same thing with different arguments").
  • Rename subs consistently: use only lower case and underscores (Soji was willing to do this if I remember correctly),
  • make the daamons simple to read (for example, split sympa.pl in two executables : one for the daemon and the other one for command-line functionnalities),
  • get rid of autoload: it is too much hard to understand for newbies and too abstract for debugging
  • Correctly integrate the great work made by Soji regarding aliases management,
  • Simplify installation process.
These are reasonnable goals for the four months we have ahead of us.

Best regards,

David
--
A bug in Sympa? Quick! To the bug tracker!

David Verdin
Études et projets applicatifs

Tél : +33 2 23 23 69 71
Fax : +33 2 23 23 71 21