devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] Layout of sources

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: IKEDA Soji <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] Layout of sources
  • Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 04:03:39 +0900

David and all,

On Wed, 13 Nov 2013 10:29:56 +0100
David Verdin <address@concealed> wrote:

<<snip>>

> > |-- po/: localization
> > | |-- user_interface/->sympa/: uesr interface localization.^[note 2 SI]
> > | `-- web_help/: web help localization

> > [2][SI] Use gettext domain names.
> >
> I don't understand this note. Would you please explain it?

For example,
po/sympa/fr.po
po/web_help/fr.po
in the source tree would be compiled and installed to the places
$localedir/fr/LC_MESSAGES/sympa.mo
$localedir/fr/LC_MESSAGES/web_help.mo
respectively.

But as I wrote in another post, configure script seems not to
expect such layout.

<<snip>>

> > `-- src/: source code. ^[note 4 SI]
> > |-- script/: ponctual usage scripts
> > [4][SI] I feel src/ is not needed.
> >
> Not sure. I still agree with Guillaume's argumnet: put all the code
> inside a single directory to facilitate grep and generally speaking, any
> search in the source code.

I don't strongly disagree to Guillaume on this issue, but I prefer
to flatter layout: I feel inconvenient that many sources will be put
in more deeper place, src/lib/Sympa/ than lib/Sympa/.

OTOH moving src/lib/Sympa/ to src/Sympa/ seems not to be a good
idea. It may break grouping by targets of installation:
- There aren't modules named script::*, sbin::*, ..., but they are
there.
- Sympa.pm or Sympa.pod [I'd like to propose this on another
occation] looks like orphan file.

<<snip>>

Regards,

--- Soji