devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] Plans for Sympa

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Marc Chantreux <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] Plans for Sympa
  • Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2013 11:34:23 +0100

On Thu, Mar 07, 2013 at 03:20:36PM +0100, Guillaume Rousse wrote:
> 1) distinguish file parsing from configuration handling
> Look at the multiple load_something* functions used to read
> configurations files, each basically returning an hashref after
> checking its content. There is almost one function by configuration
> file...

the business API must be a clean separation between behave and deliver
in all the cases. for exemple: i really want sympa to be DBMS free but i
understand that some of you don't: i want both: i want a C<subscribers>
method from the List module that returns the ids of subsriber no matter
the serializer a choose (maybe just flat files for tiny sites, maybe
ldap or neo4j in other cases. you need a different engine: just
implement the interface).

> 3) reduce the different configuration formats to a unique one
> YAML, JSON, XML, INI, whatever, I don't really care (excepted XML
> than sux), but a unique and consistent format would really make
> configuration easier

YAML is the only format that handle data pointers so it's the only one
candidate if i have to choose. the pb of YAML is that emitters lack of
serialization parameters: for example

admin: { login: mc, realname: "Marc Chantreux" }

instead of the

admin:
login: mc
realname: "Marc Chantreux"

regards,

--
Marc Chantreux
Université de Strasbourg, Direction Informatique