devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] Plans for Sympa

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Guillaume Rousse <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] Plans for Sympa
  • Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 15:20:36 +0100

Le 05/03/2013 17:34, David Verdin a écrit :
Dear all,

With the upcoming install of Sympa 6.2 on our production server (next
week), the subsequent beta phase and the load of mails we received from
contributors / users / funders, I feel it is time to start putting
together our thoughts about Sympa for the next couple of years.

Development plans

Here are our plans of development. These are RENATER project, but you
may have your own that can certainly find their place in the roadmap:

Features

* Sympa in SaaS mode. We want to allow full virtual hosting of a Sympa
service. That means a lot of evolutions for scalability concerns and
new robot deployment.
For myself, and probably for many other people, the term 'robot' refers to some kind of automatic web crawler, such as googlebot. Sympa seems to be the only place where this term refers (apparently) to an HTTP virtual host, and is not even used consistently, as the following terms seems to be used in the code:
- robot
- virtual robot
- domain
- virtual host

So please consider either dropping this historical terminology, in favor of something more mainstream, or at least ensure it is consistenty used everywhere in the code. It makes no sense to refers to 'virtual robot', if you don't have 'non-virtual robots' to make the difference useful.

It will also require to make the largest part
of Sympa functionnalities accessible through the web and / or web
services (REST, SOAP). This is our next big step for Sympa 6.3.
* RFC 6729 <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6729> implementation. This
RFC allows to add "Received by" headers with richer information,
such as "kept for moderation". This will greatly improve tracability
of message in mailing lists.
* RFC 5983 <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5983> implementation. This
RFC deals with i18n addresses and mailing lists. I think Sympa
should implement it. I wonder whether Soji would have any advice
about this implementation, which look tricky...

* Potentially: changing our configuration file formalism to switch to
something more common, such as YAML <http://www.yaml.org>. We could
unify our configuration files and base them on CPAN modules instead
of our current home made parsers.
They are multiple level of unifications configuration.

1) distinguish file parsing from configuration handling
Look at the multiple load_something* functions used to read configurations files, each basically returning an hashref after checking its content. There is almost one function by configuration file...

Basically, we should aim to have just one parsing function/backend/whatever for every kind of currently used configuration format (xml, key/value pairs, etc...), and handle consistency checking separatly.

I didn't had a chance to look at what has already been done in 6.2 branch, so the situation may have already improved.

2) merge the three different configurations locations constants

The default sympa sertup handle some part of the configuration under /etc, and some part undef $sympa_prefix/etc, resulting in 3 differents constants: CONFIG, WWSCONFIG and SYSCONFDIR, whereas a single one should be enough to identify each configuration file location.

3) reduce the different configuration formats to a unique one
YAML, JSON, XML, INI, whatever, I don't really care (excepted XML than sux), but a unique and consistent format would really make configuration easier.

Whereas 1 and 2 are quite transparent for end-users, 3 would introduce quite a drastic change. So I'd rather use a major version number change to make it more explicit: sympa 7.0.

The rest in another mail :)
--
Guillaume Rousse
INRIA, Direction des systèmes d'information