devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] 6.1.16, riseup patch, db_cache enabled …

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: IKEDA Soji <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] 6.1.16, riseup patch, db_cache enabled …
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 13:23:45 +0900

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 09:31:34 +0100
Marc Chantreux <address@concealed> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 02:14:32PM +0900, IKEDA Soji wrote:
> > To cross over process boundary, I suppose other mechanisms such
> > as shread memory (e.g. Cache::FastMMap) would be used by 6.3.
>
> IMHO, the goal would be
> * remove the DBMS: we really don't need it and it's anoying for
> administration (for example, i'm really sad i can't use git
> to store the history)
> * add a cache system which could be networkable because really huge
> sites could need a distributed infrastructure (i would choose redis)
> * use robot and listname as prefix to gain the expected granuarity
> * don't check the state of the configuration file in the FS: use
> temporary files and "push to cache" mechanism instead.
> rewrite the parser to speed the things up: a site with less than 500
> lists (i think this is the majority of the sites) would run fast enougth
> without any cache system.

It's ambitious idea. During work on db_list_cache branch (now
merged into 6.2 branch), I in fact daydreamed Sympa on Hadoop,
MongoDB etc.:-) There may be slightly more works to them be true,
though...

Current Sympa evidently provides vertical scalability (more
memories, more cores, ...). Occasional questions about "clustering
Sympa" on sympa-users list suggest needs of horizontal scalability.

IMHO "Distributed Sympa" you supports will give advanced scalability.

> regards
> marc

Regards,

--- Soji

--
株式会社 コンバージョン セキュリティ&OSSソリューション部 池田荘児
〒231-0004 神奈川県横浜市中区元浜町3-21-2 ヘリオス関内ビル7F

  • Re: [sympa-developpers] 6.1.16, riseup patch, db_cache enabled …, IKEDA Soji, 02/08/2013