devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] 6.1.16, riseup patch, db_cache enabled …

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Marc Chantreux <address@concealed>
  • To: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] 6.1.16, riseup patch, db_cache enabled …
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 17:15:29 +0100

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 11:59:27AM +0100, David Verdin wrote:
> You mean: remove the RDBMS for caching purpose?

no: i really mean to remove the entire database. but i know i'm the only
fan of this idea so i will not try harder :)

> Because for a lot of things like, say data related to each other,
> using a relational storage looks like the best option to me.

well. if you're really intersted in this track: i can work on a proposal
for a full flat file driven sympa.

> Look at the 6.2 branch if you want to have a clear idea of how this
> works now.

i'm watching it right now. i'll tell you.

> Another likely point of improvement. We use our own parsing classes.
> they can certainly be improved.

just as an idea: why not propose yaml as alternative syntax and
deprecate the current one in some future?

> By the way, I'm rethinking the CPAN thing (port modules to CPAN,
> replace legacy code by modules, etc.). I'll forward you some
> discussions I had with Mark Overmeer

i stand by :)

> 2. when we have a coherent set of modules for a type of
> functionnalities, we could probably release them as CPAN modules.

awesome news. may i suggest you the dzil command to manage your
packages? it's very simple.

--
Marc Chantreux
Université de Strasbourg, Direction Informatique