devel - Re: [sympa-dev] new Drupal module, SOAP questions

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Adam Bernstein <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] new Drupal module, SOAP questions
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 17:56:24 -0700

(regarding long start-up times for the SOAP service)

1. Is this time always the same or does it vary from a few secondes
to one minute ? This could be due to the kind of SOAP request that
launched the SOAP server. A "lists" command takes longer than an
"amI" command.

No, it's always the same, not related to the command. The service starts up and its memory usage gradually grows to around 95MB during 45-60 seconds, at which point it finally becomes active and starts responding to any requests.

2. The SOAP server uses the binary config. Would it be possible that
you tweaked something causing the source config files to be
updated before the SOAP server restarts? This would cause the
server to reload the sources and rebuild the binaries.

No, I can restart Apache and have WWSympa running in a few seconds, and then immediately hit the SOAP interface and it takes nearly a minute for it to load, with no changes in between. Your question made me wonder if for some reason sympa_soap_server.fcgi was deciding to rebuild the binary caches even though they hadn't been changed, but I've just tested and that's not the case -- the modification times on the config.bin files were not updated.

This isn't a huge problem, we can usually expect the SOAP service to already be running so nobody has to wait for the startup time, but I thought it was worth asking if there was any known or obvious fix.

adam