devel - Re: [sympa-dev] new Drupal module, SOAP questions

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] new Drupal module, SOAP questions
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 11:03:36 +0200

Hi Adam,

Le 20/04/11 22:12, Adam Bernstein a écrit : Hey all.  We're putting the finishing touches on a Sympa control module for the Drupal CMS, which we will make public and upload to the Drupal module repository as soon as it's ready.  It required adding a couple of new functions to the SOAP interface (getTopics and getTemplates, to allow the Drupal module to populate its list creation page with the valid topics and list templates for a robot), so we will be submitting a revised sympasoap.pm very shortly.  The module is very basic so far, but I think it could be the beginning of a very productive and exciting addition to the Sympa world.
This is a very exciting feature and a valuable contribution to the Sympa community. Thanks a lot for your continuous work on Sympa!

But the main reason I'm writing is: I notice that even on a high-powered server with cache_list_config set to binary_file, where wwsympa.fcgi loads in just a few seconds, the SOAP server still takes quite a long time to load -- nearly 1 minute for us.  Is there a known reason for that?  Is it not using the cached binary list configs, and is it supposed to be?  We have ~3500 lists.
First, we did a lot of work to improve wwsympa performances as we had had several complaints about it. we did not such work on the SOAP server. This way explain some slownesses on this server that would not be observed on the web server.
Second, the start period. We observe no such long period here. I would have a few questions:
  1. Is this time always the same or does it vary from a few secondes to one minute ? This could be due to the kind of SOAP request that launched the SOAP server. A "lists" command takes longer than an "amI" command.
  2. The SOAP server uses the binary config. Would it be possible that you tweaked something causing the source config files to be updated before the SOAP server restarts? This would cause the server to reload the sources and rebuild the binaries.
Regards,

David

Thanks for any insight.

    adam

--
David Verdin
Comité réseau des universités

Due to the limitations of human brain, I fail to remember all the mails.
So if you want your bug reports or feature requests for Sympa to be processed, please post them to the Sympa tracker