devel - Re: [sympa-dev] Memory leaks by Unicode-LineBreak (Text::LineFold) had been fixed

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Guillaume Rousse <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] Memory leaks by Unicode-LineBreak (Text::LineFold) had been fixed
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 15:46:55 +0100

Le 25/01/2011 15:15, Stefan Hornburg (Racke) a écrit :
> On 01/25/2011 03:08 PM, Guillaume Rousse wrote:
>> Le 25/01/2011 14:34, Stefan Hornburg (Racke) a écrit :
>>> I agree with the minimal version needed approach. However, in this case
>>> the Perl module in question is apparently buggy (memory leak). If the
>>> end user really wants this, he can still edit the prerequisites,
>>> can't he?
>> Can you ensure all other perl modules sympa is currently depending on
>> are exempt of similar bugs, and would not require similar change ?
>
> Of course not, but preventing Sympa from using modules with severe known
> bugs
> is a good thing IMHO.
"severe" for a memory leak is highly subjective, and depend on your
context. A security issue would be less discussable, for instance.

>> I'd rather have a note in sympa installation instructions than only
>> minimal versions are specified, and latest version should be prefered in
>> all cases, because they usually fix some kind of bugs.
>
> Better make a note how to change the minimal versions :-). People hardly
> read
> this kind of notes :-/.
That's their problem, not yours. I don't know what 'people' do, I only
know what I do. And I hate having software developers taking such
decisions behind my back 'just for my own safety'.
--
BOFH excuse #231:

We had to turn off that service to comply with the CDA Bill.