devel - Re: [sympa-dev] spurious error message from sympa 6.1b4?

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Olivier Salaün <address@concealed>
  • To: Adam Bernstein <address@concealed>
  • Cc: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] spurious error message from sympa 6.1b4?
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 10:47:24 +0200

Hi Adam,

To better understand how the bulk mailer works here is a reminder :
  • the bulk mailer spool is stored in the RDBMS
  • the bulkspool_table has one entry per message to distribute
  • the bulkspool_table has one entry per group of receipients; it refers to a message in the bulkspool_table
The error you are reporting happens whenever a bulkmailer table entry refers to a missing entry in bulkspool table. It means that some list members did not get the message. This should never happen because:
  1. messages to be distributed are stored in bulkspool first, entries are then created in bulmailer_table
  2. entries in bulkspool_table are locked until the last corresponding bulkmailer entry is consumed, thus preventing the messages from being removed too early from bulkspool_table
A good way to track down what's happening would be that you enable detailed mysql logs, until you are able to reproduce the error. This way, we could track down the sequence of SQL operations and better understand the issue.