devel - Re: [sympa-dev] Security issue on wwsympa code

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Olivier Salaün <address@concealed>
  • To: Olivier Berger <address@concealed>
  • Cc: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] Security issue on wwsympa code
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 17:16:30 +0200

Hi Olivier,

Olivier Berger a écrit :
Le mercredi 13 août 2008 à 17:14 +0200, Olivier Salaün a écrit :
[...]
2. the make_alias_file code in sympa.pl does create a file in /tmp
directory, however the data it writes are hard-coded, no
possibility of data injection

Well, there's still the possibility that these files are already
existing symlinks to other important files, which may then see their
content be overwritten. That should be too bad if the sympa.pl was
running with some privileges (allowing overwrite of the files), and that
code was reached when running with these preivileges... I've not checked to see what --make_alias_file is supposed to be invoked
for... but let's hope it's not run periodically as root with a
predictable PID...
The --make_alias_file would be run very rarely (if ever) by the site administrator (as root) to create an alias file for all lists from scratch. See the related documentation : https://www.sympa.org/manual/running-sympa#sympa.pl
I'd be glad if you could elaborate on that second issue in sympa.pl to
know if we have to clear alarming flags on Debian's bugtracker (and
other security related databases, maybe).

I don't think it's relevant to raise an alarm of that kind, but it's up to you.
[...]
However, we're going to make some cleanup in the code to a) remove the debug code you mentioned, b) use Sympa's own tmp/ directory instead of /tmp when needed.

Thanks. Feel free to point to appropriate patches in
http://sourcesup.cru.fr/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=4430 please.
Changes have been done and ticket has been closed with appropriate references.