devel - Re: [sympa-dev] Autotools cleanup

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • To: Guillaume Rousse <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] Autotools cleanup
  • Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 09:08:32 +0100

Hi Guillaume,

Sure we're interested! As far as maintainability of packages is eased, we like it!
We didn't react to your mail so far because we were deep in sympa 5.4 preparation. But as far as it's over, we will apply your patches to the trunk.

Regards,

Guillaume Rousse a écrit :
Guillaume Rousse a écrit :
Here is a fixed subset of previous patch, dealing with doc directory
only.
And the corresponding one for the src subdirectory is way too complex to
be understandable...

BTW, is there any interest for this work ? Given the amount received
sofar, I'm a bit skeptic. I should have begun with the list of problems
with current sympa installation procedure:
- the result is not FHS compatible (/home is not a software installation
prefix)
- the configure scripts ignore standard directories switches (--bindir,
--datadir, etc...) and duplicates them as non-standard switches instead
(--with-bindir, --with-datadir, etc...)
- the configure scripts ask for variables, such as openssl location,
which are absolutly useless for installation itself
- the 'install' makefile target doesn't support DESTDIR= option during
installation
- the 'install' makefile target is not usable by a normal user, due to
the usage of chown/chgrp commands
- checks are mixed between the './configure' and 'make' steps (perl modules)
- distributed archive contains generated files (man pages, i86
executables, autoconf cache files, etc...)

As a consequence, building and installing sympa in a FHS-compatible
manner is difficult, especially for package maintainers who have to
patch the installation scripts a lot.

All of those problems could be fixed by using autotools correctly, as
they have been designed precisely for this purpose. However, the large
amount of legacy cruft in makefiles make it quite difficult to produce
small incremental patches, while keeping the whole software installation
functionning.

Here is a different collection of incremental patches, applied against
current svn trunk. Most are purely cosmetics, excepted patches 4 and 5
by changing installation directories.

I'd like some developper input to know if it's worth continuing this effort.

--
David Verdin
Comité réseau des universités