devel - [sympa-dev] Re: Re: subscription remind

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Thomas Berry <address@concealed>
  • To: Olivier Salaün - CRU <address@concealed>
  • Cc: sympa dev <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [sympa-dev] Re: Re: subscription remind
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 08:01:24 -0700

Olivier,

Olivier Salaün - CRU wrote:
Thomas Berry wrote:

Reading the Sympa documentation, I found that list_task_model files are created for the remind task. These model files appear to cause Sympa to generate the task spool files. Once I removed the model files, the task spool files stopped getting recreated.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this should prevent any further distribution of automated remind messages. Right?

Sympa 5.3b.5

I'm trying to stop the REMIND messages from being sent to subscribers.

I removed "default_task_remind 2month" from sympa.conf;

That was the right thing to do, this parameter being the default for list parameter 'remind_task'.
You should not have reminder messages sent to list members anymore, unless the 'remind_task' parameter has been set in the list configuration file itself.

sympa.conf still has "global_remind listmaster".

This parameter refers to the "REMIND *" feature that allows a listmaster to send a global reminder to all users (check mail_tt2/global_remind.tt2). This is not an automatic process. Note that this parameter does not define a periodicity but an access control (who can execute the REMIND * command). See http://www.sympa.org/wiki/manual/conf-parameters/part1#global_remind

All mailing list config(s) has "remind owner".

The 'remind' list parameter does not specify a remind task periodicity (see 'remind_task' parameter), but an access control (who can execute a REMIND mylist command). It refers to an authorization scenario.

If I remove "remind owner" from the list config and "global_remind listmaster" from /etc/sympa.conf will the EXEC.remind task files still be generated? The reminder feature will not be used in our implementation.

Yet, messages are still being sent to subscribers.

Check the 'remind_task' list parameter.

None of the lists have 'remind_task'.

What remains to be done to the configuration to prevent any remind message from being sent automatically.

Do you have the 'cache_list_config' sympa.conf parameter set to 'binary_file' ?
If so, Sympa processes keep a binary version of list config files (config.bin) and could still use defaults for list parameters such as 'remind_task', whereas the 'default_remind_task' parameter has changed (in sympa.conf) in the meanwhile.
Read http://www.sympa.org/wiki/manual/conf-parameters/part3#cache_list_config for the drawbacks of using config.bin files.

Does the cache_list_config store settings from sympa.conf, like 'default_task_remind'?

Thomas